The Ego Trip: Intro

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3 Comments A+ a-





Hey there, friends! Come on in...the Cafe is open and full of yummy, autumn-inspired beverages. Pumpkin spice lattes, hot cinnamon cider, caramel apple cappuccinos...they're all available and side beautifully with this crisp October weather. I adore this time of year. Mornings are sunny and cool, afternoons are warm without humidity, and evenings...oh, the evenings. They smell and feel like heaven. Hubby and I have been eating supper on our deck, beneath the gazebo with its muted bamboo lights, wrapped in blankets and watching our favorite shows while the stars come out.

And best of all...no sneezing. Everything I'm allergic to is dead. :)

So, since my nose and I are feeling pretty good right now, I'm ready to start the Ego Trip series. By the way, I have a new menu system and will be adding these posts to the "Series" tab, which is currently empty. I promise to bring it up to date soon--I've done quite a few series over the years and want y'all to navigate through them easily.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been on a personal journey for a while. Actually, I feel like I've been on a journey my whole life...one seeking truth, which most of you probably understand. I wrote about this in the beginning stages of the Cafe (see Truth: The INFJ Files) and every bit of that post rings true for me today:

Just like Mulder, I do have an intense desire to FIND truth. Whether I'm researching a topic or reading the Bible, there never seems to be enough information for me. My right brain takes off in leaps and bounds, trying to make connections and uncover ulterior motives. This might come from the fear of being deceived by appearances, which is also an INFJ tendency. One thing I've noticed is that most people really don't want to know the truth. They're happy with what they think is real and get terribly defensive if you try to upset their hold on reality. Whereas I hunt like mad for truth, welcoming honest challenges and dodging the crap that often accompanies them. If it's out there, I'll do my best to find it (insert X-Files theme song here). 

There are all different kinds of truths. Scientific, spiritual, educational, physical. Some are objective and work the same for everyone, like gravity. Others are subjective and based solely on what people believe. My latest journey has been a spiritual one. If you've read my disclaimer, you know that I identify as a Christian. I've read the entire Bible and have done some heavy-duty research on its origins, as well as studying Jewish history and culture. I find it quite fascinating, especially prophecy and the way it revolves around the nation of Israel. All of that is really cool.

However, I also think science is cool. So when articles and books about quantum physics started popping up on my radar about a year or so ago, I didn't hesitate to dive in. Talk about fascinating! That's when I started watching The Big Bang Theory. Yeah, I was a little late to the party, but hey--I'm an INFJ. Then, through a weird series of synchronistic events, more topics came to my attention. Quantum physics led to biocentrism, which led to sacred geometry, which led to a lot of metaphysical topics, and then the spiritual aspect of metaphysics. The spiritual part begged for investigation, which I've been working on. And while doing so, I started running into the issue of the ego.

Now, please bear in mind that I'm not a psych major. I have a B.A. in computer information systems and a background in management and business. So while I ran into a lot of egos during my college years, I never did get the opportunity to study them. I just thought they were a matter of arrogance.

As it turns out, though, the ego is more than just a cocky attitude, or someone's inflated opinion of themselves. It's a matter of identity. It's a psychological mechanism that drives us to behave according to our values and belief systems. It's stubborn, self-fulfilling, and majorly overprotective.

And it can totally sabotage a vulnerable INFJ.



But there's a positive side to this...because once we learn what the ego is doing to us, we can combat its destructive tendencies. We can make it work for us instead of against us. If you've been feeling inferior or negative about yourself lately, the ego could be behind some of that, and I'm here to help. Together we're going to kick that little baby to the curb and then whip it back into shape so you can move forward.

We'll start with identifying the ego, then move on to how it works. We'll look at what it does and how it does it, and why the INFJ is such an easy target for its shenanigans. I'm not sure how many posts will be needed to cover this series, so we'll just take it one post at a time. :)

Oh--and I'm going to be really ambitious and try to tackle it all by the end of this month. I'd like to take November off for NaNoWriMo, so that I can focus on my Gambit sequel. Between allergies and putting our house on the market, I've been terribly distracted from working on it. My dystopian world needs some attention, lol. So you'll see a flurry of Ego Trip posts out here in the next couple of weeks.

Brace yourself!

M.

Image Credit: Autumn Glory, Vulnerable

3 comments

Write comments
Aundrea
AUTHOR
October 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM delete

So excited to read your next posts!! :)

Reply
avatar