Surprising the Coffee

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 10 Comments A+ a-


Morning, guys. And when I say morning, I mean it. It's 4:30 AM here. Why am I up at such an ungodly hour? Well, I didn't eat enough before going to bed. Did you know that sleeping requires energy? It does, lol, and if I don't scarf down enough carbs prior to beddy-bye time, you can be sure I'll wake early with a rumbly tummy.

So I just ate a bowl of cereal and am sitting here with my morning coffee, thinking how weird it is to be awake when all my neighbors are asleep. Most of them, anyway. The elderly couple next door might be stirring. They'd probably be surprised to know that I'm up. My coffee certainly is.



But what better time to write a blog post than the wee hours of the morning, right?

Right.

(my apologies for punchiness...early + caffeine = WEIRD)

Anyway, guess what? I stumbled across an article on Personality Hacker a few weeks ago. Can't remember exactly how I got there, just that I ended up perusing the site. It appears to be a personality development organization that helps people discover their genius and optimize their lives accordingly. Cool.

The article itself was interesting. In a nutshell, it states that there are two kinds of people in the world: Sensors and Intuitives. Both are vital to society, but the percentages aren't even. According to Personality Hacker, about 75 percent of the population are Sensors and 25 are Intuitives. So it's easy for an Intuitive to feel out of place or--worse--feel pressured to act like a Sensor in order to fit in.


Near the end of the article, there's a list of five basic needs that often go unfulfilled for Intuitives. Having these needs unmet over a long period of time is, according to the article, a good way to become a shell of the person we're really supposed to be:

  • Freedom & Space to Explore - freedom to explore your inner/outer world
  • Permission to Self-Define - permission to live outside the "life templates" of society
  • Intuitive Connection, Conversation & Community - connecting with other Intuitives
  • Making an Impact & Influencing Your World - making the world a better place
  • Mentors & Action Plan - finding mentors to guide us through our "epic" Intuitive lives (you know, like Morpheus and Mr. Miyagi)

After reading through the list, I realized that I've been subconsciously attempting to meet each of these needs my entire life. Especially the second one. Looking back, I can see that I was going through the motions, feeling like I had to fit into one of those "templates" everyone else seemed to embrace and enjoy. And the whole time, feeling the intense need to break out of each one and live life on my own terms.

Not having these basic needs met is sort of like torture for an Intuitive. I believe the article likens it to "Death by 1,000 Cuts." It's kind of bittersweet to learn about this now, in my forties, when it would have been so much more beneficial in my teens. Seriously, where was Mr. Miyagi when I needed him?!?



But unlike the proverbial dog, I'm not too old to learn a few tricks. I'd like to go over all five needs in more depth, which will probably take a couple of posts. In the meantime, I'm going to explore the Personality Hacker website, take their genius test, and see what they have to offer. Will let know you know what I think.

Stay tuned...and may your morning coffee greet you with less surprise than mine. :)

Image Credit: Shocked Java, Sensing/Intuition, Mr. Miyagi

10 comments

Write comments
kathairoo
AUTHOR
February 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM delete

Just this weekend I went to exactly the same thing: why find all this information now, I'm 45 years old while I have been searching for it during the last 20 years. Life would have been so much lighter if I had found this at the start of my lifelong search (or so it feels).

:)

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
February 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM delete

Every word you wrote...I am so with you. :)

Reply
avatar
Colin Machan
AUTHOR
February 4, 2016 at 6:10 AM delete

I love the phrase "you live in the future, you think of opportunities", however sometimes I get frustrated that I find myself stuck in the present, and unable to grasp said opportunities to the extent that I would love to. I simply can't change some of the things in my life - or can't change them quickly enough - and that's annoying...

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
February 4, 2016 at 7:24 AM delete

I know what you mean. I'm constantly seeing what's ahead, what I want to do, where I want to be. Getting around the immovable objects presently in my path is frustrating.

Reply
avatar
Christy Haupt
AUTHOR
February 4, 2016 at 5:00 PM delete

Thanks for the personalityhacker site link. Took me a while to absorb all he wrote and its spot on! The ideas he gives to neutralize our weak spots are awesome!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
February 4, 2016 at 6:39 PM delete

You're welcome! Looking forward to checking it out myself...

Reply
avatar
jonathanrenck
AUTHOR
February 11, 2016 at 3:46 PM delete

Personally, I've seen too much of 4:30am lately. Third shift is shutting down so much of me it is getting physically painful. Until I can either find another job or get to another shift, I'm hanging on as best I can. That said I ticked off all the things in the graphic about how an intuitive operates. It made me smile to see "You improvise directly from theory". There are many other factors, but this is perhaps the greatest reason that I would struggle to be an illustrator. Repetitive drawing doesn't really do much for me. I'm far more likely to sketch out the idea and tweak directly on my paper/canvas than to do a study to lay out the whole thing. Much to the frustration of a couple of my professors. Of course, I also had little trouble in filling out the ideas when we were asked to brainstorm, though my first ideas were often the most successful. Any way, that's about all I can wrangle together right now. Thanks for the insight and encouragement this blog brings.

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
February 12, 2016 at 7:24 AM delete

Hi, Jon...I'm sorry to hear your work shifts are causing problems. Can't imagine the stress. Hope you get that straightened out and get back to your normal superhero self soon. Happy Friday :)

Reply
avatar
February 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM delete

Meridian,
Thank you so much for all of your posts! This series promises to be interesting and helpful. I began investigating Personality Hacker and have found much encouragement for the journey.
Blessings!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
February 18, 2016 at 1:51 PM delete

You're welcome! Always glad to help!

Reply
avatar