A Little Space

Friday, July 10, 2015 8 Comments A+ a-


Hello and Happy Friday!

I know a Friday post isn't typical for the Cafe, but the whole Tuesday thing just wasn't happening this week. I spent most of my free time (which, during the summer, goes from "somewhat decent" to "barely enough to get anything done") cleaning out and reorganizing the garage. Hubby helped me get started, and I've been chipping away at it in increments all week.

The primary goals? Get rid of junk and clean out enough space for a writing nook. 

And I actually managed it. Check this out:

A little space

Yeah, it's kind of rough. But I don't need to work in the lap of luxury (although I wouldn't mind trying that at some point). I just wanted my own space...one that isn't filled with the sound of daytime television, FaceTime chats, and Hannah Montana videos. Also, one where my dogs can't crawl all over me as I'm trying to eat.

So now that I've carved out a little bit of space, all is peachy, right? I should be able to crank out paragraph after paragraph without a second thought.

Well, not exactly.

Summer is the worst time for me as a blogger/writer. This is due, in part, to the fact that there's no school. No school means no place for my special-needs son. He ends up hanging around the house, and that requires full-time supervision. My daughter helps by working a 4-hour shift each day, but the rest is up to hubby and me, and until my son's group home is authorized for move-in, we can't change our routine.

My bubby rocking out at home :)

Then there's the weather. I've read that INFJs often have issues with "climate control" and I am no exception. My ideal temperature range is somewhere around 75-78 depending on humidity. Lower for exercise and sleep, but otherwise, 75-ish is perfect for me. Unfortunately, Illinois is not really a 75-ish kind of location. We're lucky if the thermometer hovers in that range for more than a day or two (why I was born in the Midwest when I was clearly meant to live in California or Hawaii will always be a mystery).

For me, writing usually means getting out of the house and spending the day in coffee shops or libraries. That's not a huge deal in winter (I'm bundled up enough for outside and inside temps). But in the summer, it's too hot to drive around in boots and turtlenecks. Problem is, businesses are still cold. Super cold. So I start out in jeans and take jackets and a fleece blanket, and I end up shivering anyway. When I leave to grab lunch, I start sweating. By the time I reach a deli or restaurant, I'm heading back into the cold...only now in damp clothing.

I've tried different solutions, like changing into shorts for driving and then back into jeans for working. But that gets extremely tedious. My workout routine has also kicked my metabolism into high gear, forcing me to stop and eat about every three hours. So really, the most reasonable solution for summer writing is to stay at home--which is hard, because home is noisy and distracting. The little nook will help, but it won't be much use during the times I need to supervise my son. Or when it's 90 degrees out and the garage becomes an oven.
So if I disappear from the Cafe a few times this summer, it's not because I've forgotten you. It's because life and Mother Nature are overriding my INFJ desires for space, a quiet atmosphere, and a comfortable climate. Oh, and a cloaking device. :)

Does anyone else deal with the climate control thing? Do you have a narrow comfort range, like I do, that makes it difficult to be out and about? Let me know! I'd love to hear from you.

Until next time...

Image Credit: Nook (me), Bubby Rock (me), Alien INFJ


8 comments

Write comments
Stephanie
AUTHOR
July 11, 2015 at 8:13 AM delete

Yes, you nailed it! I am always cold and happiest when the temp range is around 75 indoors too. Commercial AC in restaurants and shops is too frigid.

Reply
avatar
Christy Haupt
AUTHOR
July 11, 2015 at 9:05 AM delete

For me, too cold is an issue but not hot. Love your new work space! Looks a lot like mine! Just having a place that is set aside for just "me" is like a waiting, patient friend. Give me shabby schique over lap of luxury any day. Luxury is too organized and "clean"? I guess. I like thought provoking, slightly mismatched, wobbly table leg balanced by something under it, etc. I also like organized clutter, but if it gets too much, I get a panicky feeling, and a massive surge in me brings it down to size quickly. The cartoon is PERFECT!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
July 11, 2015 at 12:42 PM delete

Glad I'm not the only one. People look at me funny when I carry my blanket around, but it's the only way to survive!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
July 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM delete

Same here...will take cozy and livable over ultra-luxurious any day. And I laughed when I read about the organized clutter. Oh man, we are so alike in that way...I might have piles of stuff, but they're neat piles, and the second they take over I'm compelled to whittle them back down. :)

Reply
avatar
David
AUTHOR
July 12, 2015 at 4:07 PM delete

Heat doesn't bother me much... two weeks ago I was out painting the outside of my home and sweating like a pig the whole time, only to find out that it was 100 degrees out while I was painting. But cold though....it takes effort to get out in the cold and I am always conscious of the frigid temperature. Granted, I love me some snowboarding, but if I had a choice between snowboarding all day and playing some beach volleyball or flag football, I'd choose the beach option 9 times out of 10. Of course, there's always that random day that I'd choose the mountain...

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
July 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM delete

Love your post. yes, I also have a narrow comfort range. A perfect 75 degrees with a little, gentle breeze once in a while would be perfect. Oh, it's nice to dream....

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
July 13, 2015 at 7:41 AM delete

Same here. Heat might make me tired after a while, but being too cold makes creative thought nearly impossible. I'd choose the beach often as well, and then there would days the mountain called to me. I think INFJs need that variety to match our moods. :)

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
July 13, 2015 at 7:42 AM delete

Keep dreaming, Lauren. I will be, too...

Reply
avatar