The Jung and the Restless

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 9 Comments A+ a-


Did you know we serve wine in the CafĂ©? We do. In fact, I’m sitting here with a ginormous glass of moscato, trying to smooth the edges off a rough day. Why was it rough? Because it was one of those days where reality trumped the world in my head.

And I don’t do reality very well.

I’ve been really restless lately, guys. More so than usual. There’s always an undercurrent of it moving around, stirring my depths. But it’s been hitting the surface a lot over the past few days. I literally feel like running outside and howling at the moon.
via
Merriam-Webster defines restlessness as “characterized by or manifesting unrest especially of mind.” And from what I’ve read, it’s the norm for INFJs. I see this a lot on forums and threads. We seem to lack the general contentment of other types. Granted, we cover it up well (we’re awesome with masks). But as we go about our daily, humdrum, socially acceptable routines, our unchained imaginations are running wild and free.

Yes, we’re the types Carl Jung characterized as “irrational.” As intuitives, we look at the world in terms of perception and possible outcomes. We don’t naturally conform to a world of rules and order, although we end up doing it anyway. You know, so we...fit in. I can see why INFJs are reputed to always be in conflict with themselves. We’ve got one foot rooted in reality while the other’s walking a gypsy path. It’s like we’re divided between what’s real and what’s ideal. Is it any wonder we’re so restless?


via
Maybe there’s another reason for some of you. Personally, I feel my restlessness is directly tied to the disparity between what life offers and what my heart truly desires. And on the days life offers plain old humanity, I want to tear off my human skin and be that wolf. Wild and passionate, roaming free. Howling at the moon.

But since that would probably get me arrested, I’m going to finish this socially acceptable glass of wine, throw on some PJs, and get some sleep. 

Perhaps I’ll meet my inner wolf inside my dreams.

G'nite!

9 comments

Write comments
Bree
AUTHOR
March 4, 2015 at 12:59 AM delete

This post really hit home for me. I experience that restlessness on a day-to-day basis and spend a lot of time conforming to the quiet norm. Hmmm, wonder if I'll ever figure out how to balance that fine line between the real and the ideal...

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
March 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM delete

If you do figure it out, Bree, please share! :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
March 9, 2015 at 1:18 AM delete

Hi meridian, thanks for your website. Long time lurker, and an INFJ.

I think somewhere in this blog, you mentioned this marriage being the second one... Would you like to share, if it's not too burdensome or uncomfortable with you, which MBTI Relationship it was and why it might not have worked? I'm just curious...

By the way, you seem to be such a dedicated mom and wife and writer. Really admire that, as I am entering my mid-thirties and realizing how difficult it is!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
March 10, 2015 at 10:59 AM delete

Hello, and thank you so much for the lovely comments! Yes, I was married before, but I don't know my ex's MBTI type, and since my real identity is out here via posts about my published work, I'm uncomfortable going into detail about it. Suffice it to say that the marriage was volatile and I felt I had no choice but to leave.

It IS difficult juggling those things, isn't it? Especially when we have perfectionistic tendencies and feel we must go above and beyond in everything we do. I struggle all the time with that. So it's very nice to hear a word of encouragement - your comment totally made my heart smile.

Take care, stay strong, and nurture those superpowers. They'll get you through the tough stuff. Always remember that you're built for greatness. ;)

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
March 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM delete

I just saw a u tube vid on how to cure introversion! I guess that's like when ppl/school teachers in the old days tried to "cure" left handed ppl.!!! How presumptuous to try to "cure" introversion. Like Popeye said," I am what I am". I have no problem being an introvert. I really need my down time (INFJ), but I can attend conferences, parties, meetings when I have to or when I want to.

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
March 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM delete

Curing introversion? That's crazy talk! Introversion isn't about shyness, it's about how we recharge. I can be extremely outgoing--and then crash on the couch for a couple of hours to recover. It's a simple energy equation!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 2:54 AM delete

Glad to stumble upon this blog

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM delete

Glad to have you! :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
April 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM delete

Another giggle ("Try explaining that to the neighbors"). Oh, how I relate. I'm feeling it right now.
I can sense I'm going to over-exhaust myself tonight, although I am already pretty exhausted but I need these answers.

*feels a wolf vibe tearing through spirit to howl at moon*

Reply
avatar