2015: Planting Seeds

Saturday, January 03, 2015 4 Comments A+ a-


Happy 2015!

How’s everyone in the Café? I hope you rang in the New Year with laughter, joy, and the anticipation of a brand new start. If you’re like most people, you’ve marched bravely into 2015 armed with discipline and a pile of well-intended resolutions that you posted on Facebook for all to see.

Then again, we’re INFJs. Not exactly like most people. Our discipline is rooted in quiet, authentic strength, and we hold our resolutions deep in our hearts. We don’t march to anyone else’s tune…we tread solitary paths through the woods, carving out secret places and lighting the way for others.
Source

We are living, breathing resolutions.

But we still need goals, and I have several for this year. They’re not so much “things to achieve” as they are strong promises I’ve made myself. Promises that will strengthen my body, mind, and soul…and stretch outward to bless those around me.

Here are a few of them: 

SIMPLIFY

This one speaks for itself. The world is a cluttered place that cries out for attention from every chaotic corner. And I’m guilty of hanging on to some of that clutter. The burden weighs me down and, sometimes, breaks my heart. This year I’ll be getting rid of a lot of it, both physical and emotional. I’m looking forward to the healing.

RELEASE

Every INFJ knows that getting the storm of thoughts out of your head is important. I didn’t do that very well last year. Blogging anonymously is easy. Blogging under your real name is hard, because you risk becoming a target for revealing your true thoughts. I’ve internalized a lot of worries, ideas, and concepts that I wasn’t sure how to present in a politically correct manner. This year will be different. I’m not going to focus on my fear of what the world might think or say. I’m going to post about things that are deeply relevant to the INFJ.

But I'll still keep my comment moderation set to “on”.

INTERACT

This one is going to be the most difficult. I’m a hermit by nature, and my home life has kept me extremely isolated for the past nine years. Socialization, which is hard for me anyway, is a muscle I need to start flexing. Interacting on social media is one way to build it up. It’s costly…for the INFJ, all interactions require payment. Responding takes time and energy, and I don’t always have the opportunity to recharge. But this year, my little pirates will be transitioning off the ship (that is, if I don’t push them overboard first), and I’m going to use some of that freedom to work toward finding…and building…the relationships my heart needs in order to flourish.

I’ve ignored my own needs for far too long. It’s time to change that.

Source
So those are, in general terms, my “resolutions” for 2015. I might not achieve them in full, but I’m going to plant the seeds. Who knows what mighty oaks may grow from them, right?

How about you, Caférs? Are you planting any seeds, big or small, this year? Any dreams coming true? Any just getting started? Don’t hesitate to share!

And if you want a giggle, here’s an article from Thought Catalog on What Happens When Each Myers-Briggs Personality Type Makes A New Year’s Resolution. Ours hits home, but I was especially amused by the one for ENTJs.

Take care, guys! Be back soon!

4 comments

Write comments
Colin Machan
AUTHOR
January 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM delete

Interesting post, thanks for sharing. Particularly stirred by your comments about blogging under a pseudonym. I took the decision a while ago to use my real name when I blogged. Yes it's so much harder - it takes me absolutely ages to post as I review what I've written in the context of who I know who might read it. Eventually I publish it, but only after I'm totally happy with the content. It can take ages!

Happy New Year
C

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
January 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM delete

Colin - I do the same thing. Review, review, review. Being a perfectionist plus knowing you're held accountable for every word can making blogging a chore. Kudos for being brave and putting your real identity out there!

Happy New Year to you, too. Hope 2015 brings you many blessings :)

Reply
avatar
January 4, 2015 at 9:17 AM delete

My resolution came from Christine Kane's idea for choosing a specific word (mine is Freedom) to guide you instead of an action. I'm resolving to free myself as well from worrying about ruffling feathers with my travel blog since writing about crossing cultural boundaries can get a bit murky. I think this year we'll see a lot more people speaking up, not just INFJs, thanks to Susan Cain and her wonderful campaign for introverts. Good for us, too, since we're always up to hear about everyone's perspective!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
January 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM delete

I love that idea! If I could choose one word, it would be the same...freedom. Everything I'm pursuing revolves around that concept. Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best with your travel blog!

Reply
avatar