Rambling: Hobbits, Tempest, and ESFJ

Monday, December 17, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-


Greetings to all my INFJ brethren :-)

The last few days have been pretty crazy. Let me tell you that the midnight premiere of The Hobbit was absolutely amazing!! My cohorts and I donned our Middle-Earth t-shirts and arrived at the theater an hour and a half early to get good seats. We played card games and talked as the theater filled up with people and--yes--hobbits. Well, people dressed as hobbits, which was both amusing and entertaining!

Here are a couple of pics my husband snapped before our crew headed out:

Me, Caleb, Bekah & Johnny - The Hobbit Crew

Hobbit Crew on too much caffeine  :-)

What amused me even more was a one-page story Caleb decided to type up while we were waiting for the movie to begin. I'd brought my laptop along, and as the caffeine and hobbity-type atmosphere exerted their influence, his creative juices started to flow. When I read the finished product, I couldn't stop laughing. The story was clever and yet grotesque (in that teenage-boy-brain sort of way). He definitely has the INFJ knack for expressing himself in writing.

The movie itself was wonderful, and we were glad we'd stayed up half the night to watch it. But the lack of sleep took its toll. I did quite a bit of writing on Friday and Saturday. And I had the wonderful opportunity to chat with Julie Cross (author of YA sci-fi novel "Tempest") at a book-signing Saturday afternoon. She's a lovely person! On Sunday I tried writing again at our local coffee shop, but my body finally shut down. I ended up back at home, crashed on the sofa. Fell asleep watching MIB3 with Caleb and then slept through most of the night.

Moral of the story? Midnight premieres are awesome - but I might be getting too old for them :-)

And sometime over the weekend my husband took a free online MBTI test to determine his personality type. The result? ESFJ. Not exactly the perfect match for the INFJ, so it took me by surprise. I definitely see a post about the INFJ/ESFJ 'illusionary' combo in the future.

I apologize for the randomness of today's post. Now that the Top Ten list series is up, I need a new direction to head in. But Johnny's sick and couldn't work his shift, and I'm trying to prep my special needs son for entrance back into the public school system (we visited his classroom earlier today). I haven't worked out in a week, and Christmas is right around the corner. So much to do. But at the moment, my brain and body are horribly out of sync.

What I need most? Alone time. What am I getting? The exact opposite. Ack!!!

Anyway, I wanted to at least pop in here and catch up. I really hope to come up with something good for next time! Until then, please bear with your INFJ pal and her crazy, mixed-up life :-)

Take care and be good!

Always,
M.


5 comments

Write comments
Clint
AUTHOR
December 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM delete

First, I saw "The Hobbit" Saturday night and loved it. Love the Tolkien fantasy world in all it's forms. I've also been wanting to recommend a fantasy book series to you called "Mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson. Just from reading your blogs I can tell that you and I have similar tastes (I love "Firefly" for instance) and I think you'll like them. At the very least his characters are psychologically juicy.

Second, I hope you will write some about the INFJ/ESFJ relationship. I have an ESFJ friend and I'm interested to see the similarities!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
December 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM delete

Yay for being a Hobbit fan!! Tolkien's world is one I can lose myself in quite easily, and I never, ever get enough. Glad you enjoyed the Hobbit movie. It was a bit more CG'd up than LOTR and deviated from the original storyline in a few places, but otherwise I loved it. Have already downloaded the dwarves' mysterious Misty Mountains song. Enjoy those deep male voices!

Have you noticed that Tolkien's world is filled primarily with male characters? And the few female characters he mentions are elegant, strong women with grace and power? I looooooove that. Pass on the chick flicks and rom/coms. Give me a Tolkien adventure any day :-)

Oh, man - Firefly was the best. Thumbs up to Joss for his brilliance. Did you catch the recent "Browncoat Reunion" on the Science Channel? Several members of the cast reunited for a talk about the show. The fan base is still incredibly strong, even after all these years. And Nathan Fillion makes several funny references to the show in 'Castle'. I hope to see a reboot of Firefly in my lifetime, lol!

I will look into the Mistborn series. Have found it difficult to find an author with a writing style I really like. I prefer a smooth, transitional style that is hard to find these days. So many books seem--mechanical. Or the author smothers you with random details that distract from the storyline. Or there's a ton of graphic violence and crude sex. I've almost given up on finding a truly magical world of adventure and passion to get lost in. So thanks for the recommendation - will check it out as soon as I finish up the Willow project!! It will be my reward...

The INFJ/ESFJ topic will definitely come up. Trouble is, I may have to make comparisons and draw conclusions on my own (instead of pointing to someone else's hard work, which I can't seem to find much of). That requires lots of research before composing a post. I'm up for it, just may need to wait until I have enough time to do it properly :-)

And when are you going to write your own book, hmm????

Reply
avatar
Clint
AUTHOR
December 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM delete

It's so funny that you mention the CG. After the movie, I asked my girlfriend what she thought, and she said she loved it, "especially the CG!" I said, "Really? Because all the CG would be my one gripe. I would've preferred real actors in make-up." This lead to an impassioned defense from her of why CG added so much more to the movie because of all the emotion that could be portrayed on the characters' faces, as opposed to the limited display allowed by make-up. I didn't even argue my side, lol. I don't need to see every muscle twitch in a face to know what a character's feeling, but, as an ISFJ, it adds a lot for her.

I have noticed that Tolkien's world is primarily male, and I really do like his strong women. I think it's a very poetic and powerful role to be the support that allows the world to function. I thought the scene between Gandalf and Galadriel was especially poignant in "The Hobbit". I personally think Gandalf is an INFJ, and so for Galadriel to look at him with so much understanding and faith, when he doesn't even seem to understand himself how he knows what he knows, just sends my Fe off the chart.

In "Mistborn", the heroin, Vin, is equally strong and vulnerable; she's a very interesting character. I think you'll also enjoy the central role religion plays in it. As for the violence, if you can handle an orc getting his head cleaved off, you'll be totally fine, and there's no sex to speak of. :)

I didn't catch the "Browncoat Reunion" but I would love to see "Firefly" reborn. I was introduced to it by a friend several years ago, so I rented the entire series and capped it off with "Serenity". It's so sad to finish a series and know that you'll not get to live anymore adventures with the characters!

I'm looking forward to what you find on the INFJ/ESFJ topic. I thoroughly enjoy researching compatibility and there is very little solid, romantic typology information on the internet. Which is totally understandable, because so much of what makes a relationship work is simply communication and acceptance. Maybe it's a series that your husband could co-author with you? I'm sure the world would love to know how to successfully deal with an INFJ partner.

As for my book, a few months ago I managed to write a page of it (most of which I want to delete) and am confident that within the next 10 years I'll finish page 2.

Reply
avatar
H2
AUTHOR
December 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM delete

Well, since I'm not a "INFJ brethern," I'll assume that the greeting is inclusive of "Friends of INFJs" also. In any case, I hope you're all recovered from your late night movie adventures. I would suggest continuing as much as you can with the midnight showings. Soon enough, your late night partners may continue the practice sans Mom.

Anyway, thanks for posting a pic. Good to see the family.

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
December 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM delete

You're always included, my dear friend - and yep, better enjoy the late-night crew while I can :-)

Reply
avatar