INFJ Top Ten List: #1 - Intuition

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2 Comments A+ a-


Greetings from the local small-town Coffee House!

Am taking a break with an aromatic cup of Nutcracker brew and Hey, Baby by Pitbull coursing through my earbuds. My head is spinning from my schedule the past few days, and I'm trying to get a handle on things. Later tonight I'm hitting the midnight premiere of "The Hobbit" with my respite worker and two of my kids. So the goal today has been to process all the crazy stuff--while also consuming enough caffeine to help me stay up half the night and enjoy a good helping of Middle Earth :-)

So here we are at #1 on our Top Ten List. And it's one of my favorite topics! Our intuition...

2. Our intuition is real


INFJs are known for being the most intuitive personality type. We "just know" a lot of information that we can never fully explain. Many sensing types and a few intuitive types cannot fully grasp our level of intuition and easily discredit our knowledge. Without any explanation as to why, we can feel the feelings of everyone around us as deeply as though they were our own.

As An Anonymous INFJ states: "In my experience, the most misunderstood part of an INFJ is how we feel everything those around us feel. We do not sympathize. We do not empathize. We literally feel exactly what you feel. Even if you are trying to hide it or don't express your feelings, somehow we still know."

Along with our open-mindedness and compassion, our ability to intuitively feel and sense things around us is a large part of why we can help others so easily. We just know what is best for those around us even if we cannot articulate why.

If you know an INFJ or want to be closer to an INFJ, believing in our intuition is the best thing you can do because it is the biggest part of who we are.

(On a side note, the "Anonymous INFJ" quoted above has been a visitor here in the Cafe - you can visit her website at www.infjanonymous.com.)

From the research I've done, I agree that INFJs are, indeed, claimed to be the most intuitive personality type. We're not the only one out there. INTJs, ENFPs and ENTPs are all dominant intuitives. But our functional stack seems to be the perfect combination for receiving and expressing what some people refer to as "sixth sense."

I like how this excerpt from a davidmarkley.com article describes our superpower:


Introverted intuitives, INFJs enjoy a greater clarity of perception of inner, unconscious processes than all but their INTJ cousins. Just as SP types commune with the object and "live in the here and now" of the physical world, INFJs readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect. Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers. Unlike the confining, routinizing nature of introverted sensing, introverted intuition frees this type to act insightfully and spontaneously as unique solutions arise on an event by event basis.
It is an INFJ who is likely to have visions of human events past, present, or future. If a person demonstrates an ability to understand psychic phenomenon better than most others, this person is apt to be an INFJ. Characteristically, INFJs have strong empathetic abilities and can be aware of another's emotions or intents even before that person is conscious of these. This can take the form of feeling the distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types. INFJs can intuit good and evil in others, although they seldom can tell how they came to know. Subsequent events tend to bear them out, however.

I don't know about you, but my intuition isn't something I'm acutely aware of. Most of the time it operates on a subconscious level. So it's easy for people to wrongly interpret my actions as unusual, because they see me reacting based on intuition rather than fact. I make a lot of decisions out of instinct, leaving others to wonder what in the world I was thinking.

And certain things will throw my intuition off. Illness, fear and sensory overload can have a major impact on my gut feelings. Same with a long, deep swim in the sea of ESTP-shadow. But for the most part, I trust my intuition. I've been in too many situations where it's saved my butt (or someone else's) to deny its reality.

It really does hurt when someone doesn't "get" my intuition. People who criticize or ridicule this aspect of the INFJ don't realize that it's a huge part of our identity. I've had mine scoffed at numerous times. It's one of the reasons I've built such a fortress around my heart. Accept my intuition and you are allowed a tentative entrance. Make fun of it, though, and you'll end up staring at the barred gates. Or worse, tossed into the moat with the man-eating alligators!

So yes, our intuition is real. And it's important to us--it's the heartbeat of the INFJ :-)

How has intuition impacted you? Ever had it save your life? Do you give the people around you Twilight Zone moments on a regular basis, lol???


2 comments

Write comments
TyKes Mom
AUTHOR
December 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM delete

As the writer of this article, I really wanted to say thank you for writing this series. I am beyond honored that you would highlight each point! I just discovered your blog and was blown away to see my writing featured! I love your writing and am always excited to find a fellow INFJ! Thank you so much and I am anxious to keep reading your blog!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
December 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM delete

Hey there! I'm so glad you stopped in - and you are very welcome! Your article has made for an interesting and insightful blog series. You made several great points, and it's intriguing how many of us out here totally identify with your list :-)

Thanks for your awesome contribution, and I hope we continue to connect!

M.



Reply
avatar