Wednesday, November 14, 2012

INFJ Top Ten List: #9 - Intelligence

Hello again! Sitting here indulging myself with a cup of coffee and some cookies while I wait for my respite guy to show up. Can't take a shower unless someone's here to help out. Those of you who don't have to schedule their personal hygiene--consider yourselves blessed ;-)

Okay, next up on the top ten list. Guess what, guys - we're intelligent!!

9. We are extremely intelligent

INFJs are introverted thinkers and extroverted feelers. Because of this, we can struggle to articulate our thoughts. While we may, in our minds, be able to answer deep meaningful questions, retain amazing amounts of data and debate with the best of them, when asked to speak aloud, we often fumble, stutter over our words and say a small fraction of what we are actually thinking. This lands us the labels of slow-witted and unintelligent.

However, when we are comfortable with a person and situation and are given plenty of time to ponder an inquiry or organize our thoughts into words, we can speak fluidly, clearly and passionately on almost any subject.

Wow, does this completely resonate with me. Not that I walk around feeling extremely intelligent. On the contrary, a knowledgeable extravert can intimidate me very quickly. And here's why:
Meridian Math
Brain + Writing = Eloquent
Brain + Speaking = Awkward

When the thoughts in my head are channeled into the written word, everything goes smoothly. But there's a significant speed bump between my brain and my mouth, and I hit it every single time in front of a crowd. This is partly why I have such a fear of public speaking (check out Public Speaking, Zebras and INFJs). I can't cut/copy/paste/delete the words that come out of my mouth. Nor do I think quickly on my feet. It's a good thing I'm not famous, because I'd be a walking PR disaster.

I blame some of this on the multiple perspectives. They like to argue, debate, and present their opinions during my thought processing. Sometimes they talk over each other, and then there's the occasional shouting match. They can cause way too much ruckus for me to package and deliver a concise, well-thought-out verbal response. Small groups and one-on-one interaction are more my thing, especially if we're discussing a topic I'm familiar with. I think this is because a smaller crowd is less overwhelming on my Fe and gives it room to breathe.

The author of the excerpt above doesn't really address why we're intelligent. It's more about how we express it. But I do think that INFJs are deep, intuitive thinkers with the capacity for brilliance. The world often neglects to slow down and give us credit. And really, that's okay--because we're more comfortable working our covert magic behind the scenes anyway ;-)

Well, Johnny's here and the shower is calling. Better go and get clean while the opportunity presents itself.

Have a great day, folks - and stay tuned!

M.


Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. i realized this aspect of me when i was up on the diaz on a speech giving occasion and found myself shivering and stuttering and I had no clue what i was saying and i was so scared to think what others might be thinking and in the process i lost track of my own spoken words... interesting observations and i just always love to read you :) take care... with love... Aarthi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aarthi - that's exactly how I feel speaking in public. Shivering, stuttering, wondering how others are perceiving me. It's like everything I am shuts down under the scrutiny of strangers. (sigh) Blogging anonymously behind a laptop screen is sooooo much easier, lol!

      You take care, too - love you, girl :-)

      Delete

I appreciate honest comments and opinions, as long as they are polite. Any offensive, profane, or derogatory remarks will be removed. Thanks!