INFJ Top Ten List: #10 - Planning

Monday, November 12, 2012 4 Comments A+ a-


Hey, guys! It's Monday again, and I'm trying to recuperate from several days of Phoenix-cage-rattling that mastered me instead of the other way around. I definitely was not the captain of my own ship this weekend.

But Mondays bring a bit of quiet solitude to my house, and they're also workout days. So I took my frustration out on my weights, and after a hot shower and satisfying food in my belly, things are looking up :-)

I happened to come across an article the other day about INFJs that piqued my interest. The title is "Top 10 Things Every INFJ Wants You to Know" (click here to read the entire article). While I don't agree 100 percent with all of them, they do appear to describe our personality type in general. So the next few posts will be covering these points.

Counting backward from 10...

10. We are planners
As with many other Judicial personality types, the INFJ enjoys structure and order. Though our intuition can cause our structure to fluctuate, we still thrive best when we can plan out the details of our situations and lives.
Sometimes, however, spontaneity can occur outside of our control. This deeply shakes us and we often respond to this loss of control with anger and frustration. Brandie, over at Little Left of Normal sums it up best when she says, "Sometimes spontaneity leaves us in a position that we cannot plan..., and we find this upsetting. Please understand that we are never upset with you, only the situation."

Does this describe you?

Structure is necessary for me. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with it, though. I need it in order to feel more in control of my life and schedule, but it can sometimes imprison me to the point where I start fighting against it. Then after too much freedom, I need it back.



I actually enjoy spontaneity, and certain MBTI's can coax it out of me with little effort. My ESTP friend Wendy, for example. She has so much energy that she will literally drag me out of the house, laughing and singing as she chats nonstop about the fun we're going to have. Those moments, breathtaking and filled with freedom and joy, are refreshing for me. They do my heart a world of good.

On the other hand, too many spontaneous interruptions to my schedule can throw me off in a big way. If I'm anticipating a day of alone time and have to change those plans several times to field unexpected requests thrown my way, my stress-o-meter will quickly start heading toward the red zone.

So I guess it depends on what kind of spontaneity occurs. The carefree kind I have no objections to. The stressful kind will bring out the Hyde. Either way, I'm definitely a strong planner and not comfortable flying too often by the seat of my pants. Unless, of course, Wendy is navigating :-)

How about you??


4 comments

Write comments
Mel
AUTHOR
November 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM delete

I definitely like to plan ahead, too - especially around the things that *have* to be done (e.g. writing, laundry, events, etc). And I also most welcome spontaneous interruptions - especially from one ESFJ one ENTJ that I know! That said, I only tend to like those from certain people!

Reply
avatar
Colin Machan
AUTHOR
November 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM delete

I spend most of my week with diaries, schedules and to do lists. It's the way that stuff gets done, how I organise my life to maximise my paid and voluntary work, allotting time for the family.

However, when I am on holiday I really love life to be totally unstructured. Planning nothing. Nothing at all. I can then be totally spontaneous. If I'm away from home, that's the time for relaxing and going camping, sitting with a book, a cup of coffee. No mobile phone, no organiser. If I'm at home I spend the day pottering around the house. Love it.

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
November 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM delete

I'm with you, Mel - only certain people are allowed to distract me, lol! :-)

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
November 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM delete

We're exactly alike, Colin. I wouldn't survive without my lists. But sometimes I throw the list out and just take time for whatever pops into my head. All about balance, right??

Reply
avatar