Weights, Keys and Guy Fieri

Monday, October 29, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-



G'morning, everyone! How was your weekend?

Mine? Eh. Was under the weather for most of it. Still under, to be honest. Now my weights are sitting on the floor staring at me, wondering if I'm going to have the energy to pick them up and swing them around. I'm pretty hard on myself when it comes to exercise and show little mercy to my own weaknesses. Sometimes my inner drives puzzle me, because I'm not sure where they come from. Maybe it's my rebel-Harley-biker-chick perspective ;-)

The best thing about the weekend was that one of our neighbors went on vacation. My kids take care of her cat whenever she's out of town, and her house is left empty. She happens to have a piano, and I happened to stumble across some of my old books and sheet music in the garage. So I spent several hours engaging in some halfway decent musical effort. I found it amazingly therapeutic. And though I hadn't played some of those songs (specifically the sonatinas) in at least 15 years, the notes/patterns came back with ease. My fingers stumbled, being out of practice, but my brain knew exactly how each measure was supposed to sound. I even made some of the same mistakes I used to make--in the exact same places.

Scary how the brain works.

Sidebar: I find memory recall a funny, puzzling thing. Many of my memories are connected to emotional events, and in order to recall them, I have to recall the event. Then again, there are times I rattle off random facts and data that seem to come out of nowhere. I'm wondering if this is merely the left-brain/right-brain dual functionality that INFJs are capable of?



Anyway, as a child, I played the piano mostly by "ear" - which frustrated my piano teachers to no end. I had very little patience for the notes on the page, but a deep longing to produce the sound with my fingers. So I'd memorize the songs as best I could, sometimes even closing my eyes and attempting to reproduce them without looking at the keys. My ear would tell me instantly if something was off.

Oddly, I find myself doing the same thing with cooking. I hate reading recipes, but I have a strong desire for the ultimate finished product. I prefer to memorize the ingredients/instructions and pull together a recipe with effortless instinct. Everything should come together perfectly, like a well-rehearsed dance.

So, am I weird? Nah, I'm just a big-picture INFJ. I see things as a whole. Getting down into the details can be fun and enjoyable, but the process drains me. I want my behaviors and actions to be a natural extension of my thought and will - something that comes so easily I can close my eyes and still end up with satisfying results.

Speaking of recipes, I got it into my head to try a gumbo tonight. Found a video of Guy Fieri whipping up his own personal recipe and couldn't wait to try it myself--even threw a chicken in the crock pot for yummy broth to use. Watching that man cook never fails to make me hungry.

And looking at these weights never fails to make me feel guilty. Better get started before I talk myself out of it, lol!

Sorry for rambling in and out of topics today. Brain is still fuzzy. I'll just blame it on Monday ;-)

Take care and be good,
M.

5 comments

Write comments
H2
AUTHOR
October 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM delete

Some people like to geocache when they're on vacation. I like to find places Guy Fieri's been. This was my favorite:

http://www.chefpointcafe.org/

Reply
avatar
October 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM delete

I still find myself saying "me too me too" as I read your posts, which is partly nice, partly freaky! I also play what I do of the piano by ear - and my attitude to recipes you describe perfectly. I don't do weights though :)

(This is the Mel who emailed from NZ!)

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM delete

That sounds like fun. Last summer when I had someone come visit, we wanted to find places Guy has been. But he doesn't often visit this part of Illinois (he's more up near Chicago). Checked out the link - looks like a yummy place to eat. What did you have??

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM delete

Hey, Mel! We are definitely alike - and I love your website (gosh, it made me hungry). Especially enjoyed the Jabberwocky section...you creative person, you...the asparagus poem made me smile because that's exactly how I feel about it myself, lol! I used to cook and bake a lot from scratch, but have gotten away from it due to writing. If I had all the time in the world, though, I'd write, cook/bake, and then work out to burn off all the extra calories :-)

Reply
avatar
H2
AUTHOR
October 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM delete

The food was good but did you watch the video? The guy wanted to open a restaurant but didn't qualify for a loan for one. But, he did qualify for a loan for a gas station. So, he bought the gas station and converted the snack shop into a restaurant!

Reply
avatar