The Power of Introverts

Friday, October 05, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-


Good morning! The house is peaceful and quiet, in part due to the fact there there's no school today and my kiddos are all snoozing away upstairs. Outside the sky is overcast, and I find the misty grayness very soothing. If I can get away later, I'm definitely taking a walk in this subdued autumn weather.

Several months ago I happened across an article touting Susan Cain's recent book "QUIET: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking." Love the title - so true. I told myself to pick up a copy, but I'd just finished "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney and was still processing the information. So I did the typical INFJ procrastination thing and put it off.

A few days ago, however, a reader brought the book to my attention again. A fellow blogger and INFJ, Elizabeth described her reaction to the book this way:

I have been typed as an INFJ, and found Susan Cain's "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" to be revolutionary for my life. And I don't just throw around the word revolutionary.
I also liked her TED Talk. The book and the video really gave me, in a grand way, new permission to be me. 

I found her phrase "permission to be me" a beautiful picture of the way all INFJs should be allowed to feel. Permission to be us - what would that look like? Wouldn't it be awesome?

The TED video her blog post linked to was enlightening. Our world has lost its appreciation for the inspiration and creativity introverts bring to the table, and I truly applaud Susan Cain's efforts to stand up and quietly, powerfully plead for change.

To read Elizabeth's post, click here. Her post provides a link to the TED video on YouTube, or you can click to it here. The video is about 20 minutes long, and although it speaks to introverts in general, I think an INFJ might find it compelling. As I told Elizabeth, it feels wonderful to have our feelings validated, to know that we really are "okay" and it's the world with the problem, not us. Somewhere along the line society lost its appreciation for those of us who go off into the wilderness and come back with ideas--sometimes ideas with powerful potential.

Ah, wilderness - if you could see my soul,
it would look occasionally look like this..

Well, one of my kids just rolled out of bed. And wouldn't you know it, he's the one requiring the most supervision (sigh). Better sign off for now!

Have an awesome Friday and weekend - and a big thanks to Elizabeth for the insight she shared!

M.

5 comments

Write comments
Jared
AUTHOR
October 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM delete

They say Jesus was an INFJ... if true, that really gives us permission to just be us, eh?

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM delete

Lol, I've read that, too! And he was misunderstood by the majority, so he can definitely relate to the INFJ condition. I keep seeing Ghandi and Mother Teresa listed as potential INFJs as well. Given their compassion and humanitarian efforts, we have some pretty high standards to live up to, don't you think? ;-)

Reply
avatar
Jared
AUTHOR
October 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM delete

LOL, I would say so!! :S

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
October 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM delete

Meridian, I just saw this. Thank you for your response to my comment on your post! And thank you for the link to my blog. I am so glad that you found Susan's video helpful, too. Have a great day!

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM delete

No problem - send resources, links, or your personal insights any time. I love them!! :-)

Reply
avatar