Name-Calling

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7 Comments A+ a-


Sore throat - yuck!
Morning! Feeling so much better today. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat and headache that decided they were going to hang out with me all day long--and defy any amount of painkiller entering my body. Ugh, sore throats are my waterloo. They are oblivious to Tylenol and make everything so much more difficult. I went to bed feeling rotten and tired.

Instead of waking up to pain this morning, I woke up to a voice. My alarm had gone off, and I was drifting in and out of half-sleep, my mind going over the usual mental checklist of things I wanted to get done during the day. But I clearly heard a male voice call out a name. Not in my ear, just in my head. It was enough to completely bring me right up out of my trancelike state.

I only know one person with this name. So I said a prayer of protection for him, mostly because I didn't know why else his name would sing through my consciousness in such a direct manner. Was it coincidence? My mind playing tricks? Intuition? Or the Holy Spirit guiding me because He knows the future and wanted my participation?

Whatever the reason, I acted on instinct by praying. I do this for certain reasons, the primary one being that I believe God hears me when I pray. Even when I'm not on good terms with Him, I still believe He listens and acts when I make a request. It's the same way with my own children. I don't always get along with them, but I do listen to their petitions and try to be reasonable, even if I don't approve of their current behavior. They are, after all, my children.

Here's another reason I like to pray about intuitive things. Several years ago I was standing in my kitchen when I suddenly thought of my sister-in-law. A strong feeling of premonition hit me. I felt it in my gut so hard that I actually bent over with it. So I prayed for her safety and protection, especially since we were in the middle of icy winter weather. Later I found out that she'd been in a car accident that day, almost at the exact time I was hit with the feeling. Obviously my prayer didn't prevent the accident, but my sister-in-law came out of it uninjured. Coincidence? Hmm.

If you look up the term intuition on Wikipedia, you'll find this among the information about intuition and spirituality:

Typically, intuition is regarded as a conscious commonality between earthly knowledge and the higher spiritual knowledge and appears as flashes of illumination. It is asserted that by definition intuition cannot be judged by logical reasoning.


The scientist in me is often baffled by the illogical concept of the supernatural. I can picture him standing there, dressed in his white lab coat, arms crossed defiantly over his chest as he tries to explain that my intuition is nothing more than an efficient Se gathering tons of data and delivering it to my brain for processing. At the same time, my child of faith is twirling around in her little white dress, laughing and saying simply that with faith comes hope and love, the greatest of these being love.

So when my brain starts name-calling, I start praying. Out of faith, out of hope, out of love. Anything less just won't satisfy :-)

Have a great day,
M.

7 comments

Write comments
Jared
AUTHOR
October 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM delete

Neat! I think you would be at counselling those who struggle with faith! There is a strong depth of understanding there.

You are awesome!

Jared

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM delete

Thanks, Jared - hope you're doing well :-)

Reply
avatar
SloanZone1230
AUTHOR
October 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM delete

Meridian,

I often experience the same sort of thing. Is it an entirely INFJ thing though? My wife, who is an ISFJ, experiences it as well, and more powerfully. Just a thought bouncing in my head.

I appreciate you sharing your God moments. They encourage me in the way I spend time with Him. :)

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
October 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM delete

Hi there, Sloan - no, I don't think this is entirely limited to INFJs. There are other dominant intuitive personality types, although the ISFJ is considered a dominant sensing type. But we all use intuition to a degree. And I think the more sensitive you are to the Holy Spirit, the more often (and more powerfully) you'll experience the supernatural, regardless of type.

As an INFJ/ISFJ couple, you guys have an interesting balance. You have dominant Ni and inferior Se, while she has dominant Si and inferior Ne. The Counselor/Nurturer combination strikes me as solid and warm. I think I might do a post on that!! :-)

Reply
avatar
SloanZone1230
AUTHOR
November 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM delete

I'm glad our combination strikes you that way. It lends well to what I want to end up doing in life. Eventually, the plan is to go to seminary school for either and MDiv or an MA in counselling. I want to use that degree in a pastoral role to encourage believers and to help them navigate through rough patches. Being "solid and warm" as you put it definitely lends itself well to that path. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Reply
avatar
April 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM delete

Oh great! I just discovered your blog and I wrote something on the most recent one about stress and it was related to God. Happy to know you won't read it and go "oh one of those people" hahaha.

Reply
avatar