We Don't Settle for Less

Friday, August 10, 2012 2 Comments A+ a-


Holy cow, where did this week go? Was it really Monday that I posted out here?

That's always kinda scary, when a week goes by and I can't count many accomplishments. Large portions of unproductive time bother me. Makes me feel useless. I'm not happy unless there's a goal and I'm striving toward it.

Anyone else feel that way?

My INFJ shirt came in the mail, though. It fits nicely - much nicer than I anticipated. I wore it yesterday to the coffee shop, the high school and the library. Only my coffee buddies noticed it, but I figure it will take time and exposure to find the elusive INFJs lurking about. Plus the print is black - probably should have gone with a lighter color to make the words stand out. Will keep that in mind for the next shirt.

I also heard from an INFJ friend that lives a couple of states away. Reading her e-mail brought back some fun memories. We met at a summer internship during our college years. She was extremely quiet, and I recall feeling compelled to draw her out of her shell. So our initial conversations consisted of me asking questions, silence while she thought about it, and her replies. It took some doing, but we got to know each other pretty well. We kept in touch after the internship (we attended different colleges) and tried to get together when we could.

The next summer, we were reunited at another internship (same company). We worked for this place that made ammunition for the government. It was seriously weird - sometimes we'd take a break and go for walks between the buildings on campus, and you could hear them testing bullets in the background. Nothing like the sound of a machine gun to liven up a conversation!

During this second internship, the summer was hot and muggy. Mosquitos were in abundance...big honking ones, too. We were in the medical office one morning (can't remember why), and suddenly my friend springs out of her chair and starts chasing an enormous mosquito around the room, trying to kill it. It was so out of character for her that I couldn't stop laughing. One second she's sitting quietly, the next she's Rambo on a blood-sucking-mosquito rampage. Makes me laugh just thinking about it!


The one thing that strikes me most about our friendship, which has survived several years (and my self-destructive phases) is that there was very little--if any--conflict. Looking back, I can see that we held fast to what was important and let everything else go. A beautiful aspect of the INFJ is our capacity for long-term friendship. We invest ourselves and our energy into what we believe will last. My time might be unproductive, but my relationships definitely aren't.

At the end of the second internship, I bought two gold necklaces with matching pendants. One for my friend, one for me. I still have mine--wore it to church last Sunday. If I asked her, she'd probably say she still has hers, too. It's a reminder of our connection. No matter where we are in the world, we know we have each other forever.

Deep, meaningful friendship. It's the INFJ way. We don't settle for less :-)

Happy Friday and have a great weekend, folks! And to my friend, who is likely to read this...miss you girl and love you bunches!


2 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
August 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM delete

Yes, she still has and wears her matching necklace!!!

"True friends are never forgotten, they live within our hearts and souls.... forever, and always, dancing on our stage of memories." ~unknown

Reply
avatar
Meridian
AUTHOR
August 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM delete

And my heart is smiling... :-)

Reply
avatar