Low Tide

Saturday, August 25, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-


Hey, guys...sorry I haven't been out here for several days. Am still at the mercy of the pollen count. The weather's turned humid as well, which is never good for me. I wilt in this kind of heat.

My husband and I tried walking uptown this morning to a festival that's going on this weekend, and after an hour of sweating and sneezing we had to come back home. Hot and sniffly, I cooled off on the couch and fell asleep for a couple of hours. The nap and some great Chinese take-out have somewhat restored my energy :-)

The thing that bothers me most about my sensitivity to temperature and pollen is that it feels like a disability. It limits my activities and keeps me from being my true self. Because I live with a disabled teen pretty much 24/7, I know what this looks like. As I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that being an INFJ sometimes makes me feel disabled as well. For all my talk about superpowers, I often forget the antithesis to extraordinary ability is debilitating weakness. I have to wonder if INFJs swing between the two extremes without spending much time in the middle.

Are the characteristics that take us to great heights the same that push us into valleys? I spent several weeks over the summer on sustained creative highs. Now that I'm in a more practical 'edit' mode, I'm wondering if this lingering low is a response to that huge energy expenditure. My body may be having difficulty staving off the double onslaught of low energy levels and allergy season. On top of this, spiritual forces have also taken their toll in the form of oppression. I'm a lot easier to pick on when I'm in--to borrow Arisa's expression--low tide.



As always, though, it helps to understand what drives us and the way we think and respond to the world around us. Being in a low is frustrating...but I know it won't last forever. Like allergy season this, too, shall pass.

Until it does, I just have to accept the fact that being an INFJ comes with a price. We are rare and precious and have great value, but we're not immune to weakness. Recognizing that is half that battle. Maybe from there we can learn how to benefit from it. During low tide, the ocean draws back to reveal whatever the water deposited on its way out. Trash...treasure...regardless of what's left behind, we get the opportunity to investigate and deal with it. And while we're discarding some of the junk, we just might stumble across a priceless gem.

Hoping you're all doing well...may you all be blessed with peace, harmony and low pollen counts :-)