Dream Big or Go Home

Monday, August 06, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-



G'morning, folks. I'm sitting here with my coffee, waiting for ibuprofen to kick in and claim victory over cramps. Yep, it's that time again. Dang it. When it comes to female issues, I like to sit back and blame Eve. This is all her fault. One bad choice and she doomed us to the evil clutches of PMS and painful childbirth. When I get to heaven, she and I are going to have a serious talk :-)


Am a little grumpy today...even more so because a neighbor is out mowing his yard, disturbing my peace and quiet. The yards around here are completely dead, so I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish. Perhaps he's evening out the weeds. They do look out of place, all nice and green and tall amidst the parched brown stubble that's passing for grass this summer.

But anyway, in between the coffee and chocolate and grumbling about my neighbor, I decided to go online and take a mini Keirsey Temperament Sorter test. Many of you have probably done this. The Keirsey test is another method of dividing people into different personality groups. David Keirsey's book Please Understand Me introduced this method, and it ties in closely with the MBTI.

The mini-test had 71 questions, each with two options for answers...which I struggled with. The problem with being an INFJ is that for many questions, I can go either way. Depends on the day and the situation. Like today, when hormones rule and compassion for others is in short supply. And then I had to fight the urge to select the answer that I knew would categorize me as an INFJ. I can easily look beyond the questions and see what they're trying to get at.

It's funny...you almost don't need a test to figure out if someone's an INFJ. Just watch how he/she approaches it and that's a pretty good indicator right there :-)

But I tried to be honest. My score: Idealist. I know, shocking, right?

According to the free online report I was given access to, there are four personality types that fall under Idealist.

  • Champion (ENFP)
  • Healer (INFP)
  • Teacher (ENFJ)
  • Counselor (INFJ)

The one thing I don't like about this method is that it constrains my MBTI type to the role of Counselor. Yes, I might counsel others to a degree, but I feel like I jump in and out of the other roles as the occasion arises. One of the many benefits of being an INFJ is that we can masquerade as other types whenever we want to. Being a secret agent is just another one of our superpowers.

The report also said that Idealists are rare and believe "that life is full of possibilities waiting to be realized, rich with meanings calling out to be understood." I think this accurately describes the INFJ, although it seems to be an overview of the four roles listed above. Perhaps the difference is in how each role expresses it. I can't tell you for sure, because in order get more information I'd have to pay for it. Which I'm unwilling to do, given that it's likely to mimic the free MBTI information I can get on the internet. Wikipedia has a short summary of the Counselor role, which you can find by clicking here.

Overall the Keirsey test confirmed (in general) what I already knew. I'm an idealist at heart. I look for meaning in life and want to make a positive impact. Reason and logic have their uses, but they limit me. Intuition surpasses them and guides me through life. My biggest struggle is living in a practical world...cuz practical ain't enough. Just okay will never suffice. For me, it's dream big or go home :-)

Well, the household is stirring. I need to wrap this up. Hopefully this day won't be too much of a challenge. When PMS comes on, I can feel the Phoenix raising her ugly head. Will do my best to keep her caged. At the very least, I'll send her out for more chocolate!

Until next time,
M.