Coffee, Progress, and a New Idea

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-


Morning, guys! Woke a little bleary-eyed with a sore throat, but the coffee's kicking in and things are starting to feel sooooo much better. That first sip is like heaven. God bless coffee beans!

Well, I'm starting to see some progress here on the home front. Have done quite a bit of editing on the prologue and first 10 chapters, and I'm finally ready to have people start reviewing. I think. Anyway, I've looked at the material so many times that I can't see much value in it at the moment. I'm sure some of you can relate to not seeing the forest for the trees, right?

So yesterday I printed off the first 92 pages and sent it to school with Caleb. He's promised to give it a run-through during his study hall periods this week. He told me another student read some of it while he left to use the bathroom yesterday, and this student liked the few pages she read. Am hoping the material--which is dear to my heart in so many ways--will land somewhere between interesting and cool.  :-)

In the meantime, however, I was left twiddling my thumbs. I didn't want to continue reworking, because I need some distance from the material. Distance gives me clarity and reactivates my wit. Then mid-morning something hit me. Not literally, of course, but an idea popped into my head. So I pulled up a blank doc on my Mac and started writing. Worked on it non-stop for about an hour and then on and off the rest of the day. Ten pages later, I'm sucked in. Yes, another story. Completely different from the one I'm writing for Caleb. This one is actually easier to create because I'm not bound by very many real-world restrictions. Just kind of let my mind go where it wanted to--which is a little scary. Without boundaries, my mind has a tendency to wander into dark places. I bring a torch, but still. Gotta be careful.

But I already love the main character, whose name is Willow. I'm adding her to the repertoire of characters currently living inside my head. They are very real, mostly because they are aspects of my heart brought to life. Again, I find that scary. The heart of man is deceitful above all things, as the Bible says. If I am to honor God with my writing, I must keep His values at the forefront of my mind. They are the torch that lights the dark places.

I've been considering putting a few pages of each story out here to get some feedback. I've also wondered about creating a Facebook identity to better keep in touch with those of you who've been contacting me, and to create a 'place' where we could gather. Whether you know it or not, your responses warm my heart and keep me going, especially during low tide. Will mull these ideas over in the next few days. Let me know what you think.

So...I discovered a gem when the waters receded. This new story, which will keep me focused until it's time to return to the other, is just what my project-hungry brain needed. An unfocused Meridian is an unhappy Meridian. Don't get me wrong...I love my down time. But the INFJ in me needs valuable projects hovering the background. Things to look forward to when the down time is over. Since I'm restricted to the house so much, the projects I embark on can't be out in the world. So I must reach the world from this little place I call home.

Love you guys,
M.