One Tired Puppy

Saturday, July 07, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-


Man, I am one tired puppy.

Have you ever seen a tired puppy? I love how pups just go and go until they drop from sheer exhaustion. They are so adorable. But there's nothing adorable about me tonight. I'm not in the best place at the moment.

And there's a good reason.

No...alone...time...for days.

Today is Saturday. Usually I'm up and out of this house like a rocket, leaving all stress-related motherly activities behind. I get my coffee, chat a little bit, and then work my brain at the library.

But today was different. Today I rose early, donned my painting attire, gulped down half a cup of coffee and went out into the stifling heat. Painted non-stop for about four and a half hours. Dealt with a stressed-out, cranky husband whose thoroughness and attention to detail makes everything painstakingly slow. Dealt with a reluctant, disrespectful teenager that I practically had to drag out of bed to help paint. Dealt with a tired, grumpy family all afternoon and evening. Everyone has their own agenda and no one is on the same page.

Can I scream at the top of my lungs now?



This is the fifth day in a row that I've sacrificed my time, resources and sanity for other people. My husband, who drives me crazy when he's around me too much, has been home from work since Tuesday. My respite worker has been here every day to help work on the house instead of helping me with my son (which I agreed to). Thursday another family came over to go through books I was giving away, so the house was full of people for several hours. Friday wasn't much better. After the week I've had, I'm ready to get in my car and drive away at a speed that would, frankly, surprise the hell out of my car.

(sigh)

Honestly, there are days when I wonder what it would be like to have one of those loving, cooperative families where all members are healthy, mentally sound and supportive of one another. Is that even a reality for an INFJ mom? I'm really not sure, lol!

One good thing happened today, though--the pool water crept up to around 88 degrees. After painting, I threw on my swimsuit and went for a dip, all by myself. The guys were too tired to join me. One hour of heaven. Boy, did I cherish it.

I don't know what the rest of the family has planned for tomorrow. The weather channel says we could get some rain overnight, so there may be some respite from the heat. No matter what the weather, though, I'm going to get out of this house for a bit and go do something by myself. It's not so much selfishness as it is a survival tactic.

Even us INFJ super heroes need a day off now and then!

Chat with you again soon,
M.