Heat Wave

Sunday, July 01, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-



Hello, everyone! It's Sunday, and I'm indoors trying to stay cool.

Here in east-central Illinois, the weather can be defined in two words: hot and humid. Many areas of the U.S. are experiencing this extreme heat. Today I turned the calendar page over to July, but it has felt like July around here for at least a couple of weeks. When I left for church this morning at 9:00, it was already approaching 80 degrees and 85% humidity.

And I don't do well in humidity. Sweat and frizzy hair just aren't my thing.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that I have a very low tolerance for temperature extremes. Too cold and I shut down. Too hot and I wilt. My comfort range is rather narrow. I can handle cold down to about 68 degrees. Any lower and I start moving like molasses. Temps higher than 80 or 85 will sap my energy. Add in humidity, and the desire to eat almost completely disappears.

In other words, temperature and humidity can be a huge distraction for me.

I had to wonder if this happens to other INFJs. So I looked it up. Mostly what I found online is that INFJs tend to be sensitive to many external influences, including temperature fluctuations. Excessive sensory input can stress us out. Which I already knew. But it's difficult to define 'excessive' - what is too extreme for one may not be for another.

All I can say is that hot and humid is not a good combination for this little INFJ. All morning long I went from semi-cool air-conditioned vehicle to outdoor blasts of heat and into very cold places of business. Then out to another blast, back into the vehicle, and so on. A cycle like that makes me feel about as energetic as a koala bear at noontime.

So in defiance of the weather, I got a pedicure on Saturday. It's been over a year since I had one. But it lifted my spirits. The rest of the weekend has been spent writing, working on projects around the house, and spraying leave-in conditioner on my hair.

My Happy Piggies
Hopefully this heat wave will end soon. I want my energy back, along with my appetite. And I'd really like to be friends with my hair again (when we fight, it always wins). Until then, I'll be doing whatever it takes to stay cool and comfy.

Wherever you may be, I wish the same for you :-)

Cheers,
M.