The Real Deal

Thursday, May 24, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-


G'morning (yawn, stretch...ow!)

I'm a little ouchy this morning! Yesterday I was showing my son an old workout tape from The Firm - yes, a tape. A VHS tape. Bet you didn't think anybody still owned those, right? I do, and I have a VHS player as well. Just call me vintage!

Anyway, I did the workout to show my son how easy it was to perform the exercises. But, being out of shape, I'd forgotten how effective resistance training is on your muscles. Later that day, my respite worker brought over a P90X workout session and worked out with my son for over an hour. I did a few of the abdominal exercises at the end with them.

Needless to say...I'm a little sore today. Not as sore as the boys are gonna be - but enough to make me wish I'd taken it easier on this aging body of mine :-)

Well, now it's time to exercise my brain. Today we're going to talk about INFJ and the arts:


INFJs also tend to be purists and classicists. Many enjoy collecting antiques, historical artifacts, old first edition books, rare art, or anything that satisfies their thirst for what they perceive as pure or classic works. For similar reasons, they may find themselves captivated by a certain period in history, a specific genre of music, or a handpicked selection of actors or writers. In selecting a novel, would far prefer a known classic to a new bestseller. Similarly, if they are going to wear shoes (which according to recent research, most INFJs do), they want the shoes to be of high quality and a classic, rather than trendy style. If selecting artwork for display in their home, they most would opt for an original over a print.

The online version of Merriam Webster defines a purist as someone who adheres strictly to tradition, especially someone preoccupied with the purity of language and its protection from foreign or altered forms. It defines a classicist as someone adhering to the traditional standards that are universally and enduringly valid.

Sounds like we gravitate toward the traditional, classic style of things. Does this describe your tastes?

Honestly, I've never thought of myself in this light before. I mean, I know I'm conservative, which incorporates tradition and classicism to a degree. But now that I consider it, Dr. Drenth's description really does apply to me. A lot more than I thought it did.

Now, I don't collect rare art, antiques, or historical artifacts. Mostly because I don't have the money! If I did, I guess I'd have more of an interest in those things. But I do have a preference for 'pure' materials in the things I allow into my personal space.




For example, if given a choice, I'll buy a leather-bound book over a hard/soft cover. Leather seems more authentic to me. And recently I purchased two hand-made ceramic coffee mugs from the town coffee shop. They are uniquely imperfect and look as if they belonged in a rustic lodge somewhere in the mountains (my dream home). I prefer physical books to e-readers. The decor in my home is earthy, with natural colors and lots of texture. My clothes are good quality and mostly outdoorsy (my favorite shops are Eddie Bauer and Woolrich). And I prefer my beloved classics over any of the books on today's best seller list (seriously, who's writing this stuff?).

Now that I think about it, I'm not really trendy at all. Hmm...maybe this explains the VHS tapes...

I love Dr. Drenth's little crack at shoe humor. And he's right. I go for high-quality, traditional shoes that provide comfort and class. Forget tottering around on 4-inch plastic neon heels or flip flops in the summer--I couldn't live without my brown Keen sandals.

So what does this say about INFJs? Are we just plain old boring?

Nah. We're authentic. We're genuine. And we like to be surrounded by authentic, genuine things. Whether it's food, clothing, books, artwork or people, we like the real deal, not cheap imitations or trendy offshoots. Perhaps this is why we're always feverishly searching for the truth.

I just thought of something. The book I'm working on, which is a work of fiction fantasy for my youngest son, has an old-fashioned, traditional feel. The main character is steeped in family history, his home filled with historical artifacts. He ends up stepping into a world where everything is pure and oh-so-real...more real than his own. And his newfound friends are noble, filled with honor and courage and authentic values. Since I write from my heart, these things must be inside me.  Looks like Dr. Drenth was right once again.

And perhaps the only people who would truly enjoy my book are INFJs :-)

Have a good one, my friends :-)

M.